Recently this was a presentation at UU in Saranac Lake and thought it would be nice to post here.
The Four Agreements
by Don Miguel Ruiz
A set of principals to guide action, thoughts and dreams.
The First agreement:
· Be impeccable with your word
· Speak with integrity.
· Say only what you mean.
· Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others.
· Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
The Second agreement:
· Don’t take anything personally.
· Nothing others do is because of you.
· What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream.
· When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
The Third agreement
· Don’t make assumptions
· Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want.
· Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama.
The Fourth agreement
· Always do your best.
· Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick.
· Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse and regret.